S Corp vs. C Corp

By January 1, 2014March 1st, 2014No Comments

One decision that almost every business should revisit from time to time is whether its current organizational structure is meeting its needs. The difference between personal and business tax rates is just one factor that may influence that decision.

Federal tax rate increases in 2013 could affect some of the 30 million business owners who include business profits on their personal income tax returns.1 The top individual tax rate, which affects single filers with taxable incomes exceeding $400,000 and joint filers with incomes exceeding $450,000, rose to 39.6% in 2013 from 35% in 2012. For comparison’s sake, the top corporate tax rate remained unchanged at 35%.2

Corporations are separate legal entities from their owners, which is why shareholders generally cannot be held liable for S and C corp debts.


Tax Treatment

Both S and C corporations must file annual tax returns, but they are taxed very differently. S corp profits and losses are “passed through” to the owners, who are taxed at personal income tax rates, even if profits are later reinvested in the business to pay for new employees or equipment.

C corporations could be subject to corporate income tax at both the federal and state levels, but they may be able to deduct the salaries and bonuses of owners and employees as business expenses. Initial corporate income tax rates may be lower in some cases than those paid by individual owners, who might benefit by allowing the business to retain some of the profits.

Any dividends distributed to C corp shareholders are paid from the corporation’s after-tax profits and are taxable to the recipients, creating the potential for double taxation.

Ready to Grow, or Sell

Larger and fast-growing companies are commonly organized as C corps because this business structure allows for multiple classes of stock and an unrestricted number of shareholders. S corps, on the other hand, are limited to one class of stock and no more than 100 shareholders.

A company that switches from an S to a C corp must remain a C corp for at least five years.3 This may be a key consideration for owners who anticipate a sale in the near future, because the double taxation situation may also apply when a business is sold.

1–3) The Wall Street Journal, February 20, 2013

The information in this article is not intended to be tax or legal advice, and it may not be relied on for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. You are encouraged to seek tax or legal advice from an independent professional advisor. The content is derived from sources believed to be accurate. Neither the information presented nor any opinion expressed constitutes a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security. This material was written and prepared by Emerald. © 2014 Emerald Connect, LLC
© Mahoney Asset Management

Keep in mind that investing involves risk. The value of your investment will fluctuate over time and you may gain or lose money. Before investing, consider the funds’ investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. Contact Mahoney Asset Management for a prospectus or, if available, a summary prospectus containing this information. Read it carefully.

This web site has been prepared solely for informational purposes. It is not an offer to buy or sell any security; nor is it a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security.This site and the opinions and information therein are based on sources which we believe to be dependable, but we can not guarantee the accuracy of such information.

Representatives of a broker-dealer or investment adviser may only conduct business in a state if the representatives and the broker-dealer or investment adviser they represent: (a) satisfy the qualification requirements of, and are approved to do business by, the state; or (b) are excluded or exempted from the state’s licenser requirements.

An investor may obtain information concerning a broker-dealer, an investment advisor, or a representative of a broker-dealer or an investment advisor, including their licenser status and disciplinary history, by contacting the investor’s state securities law administrator.

This information is intended for use only by residents of CA, CT, DC, FL,, MA, MD, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, and VA. Securities-related services may not be provided to individuals residing in any state not listed above.

The financial calculator results shown represent analysis and estimates based on the assumptions you have provided, but they do not reflect all relevant elements of your personal situation. The actual effects of your financial decisions may vary significantly from these estimates–so these estimates should not be regarded as predictions, advice, or recommendations. Mahoney Asset Managment does not provide legal or tax advice. Be sure to consult with your own tax and legal advisors before taking any action that would have tax consequences.

Securities offered through
Newbridge Securities Corporation,
member FINRA / SIPC

Investment Advisory Services offered through
Newbridge Financial Services Group Inc.,
an SEC Registered Investment Adviser.

Office of Supervisory Jurisdiction
1200 North Federal Highway, Suite 400
Boca Raton, FL 33432

Toll-Free: 877-447-9625
Phone: 954-334-3450
Fax: 954-489-2390